Torbay Life

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Bay born

I was born in Paignton, now over thirty years ago. My parents lived in Galmpton, I attended Galmpton and White Rock primary schools before going on to Churston Grammar, a few minutes walk from the house.

Since then, I've moved around the country a few times, having lived in Manchester, Salisbury, back to my parents and then to Exeter. Three years ago, I moved back here, and am now, finally, beginning to get settled back in. Every time I move away, I look forward to living somewhere different, with more things to do, more nightlife, more people, more events. So why is it I keep coming back. Why does the view from the crest of the Haldon hills and the drive back when I've been away always cheer me up?

Why is this place still my home? I guess because I'm used to it, I forget how nice it is. Because it's familiar, I forget what other people visit the place for. Because it's my home, the special places, the views, the beaches, even the people, seem so normal to me, it takes a spell away to remind myself what I'm missing.

People pay good money to visit here, to study here, to retire here. It's easy to forget, but it's a great place to live.

And so, to blogging. We're new here, we'll cover events and news, comment on things and generally try to add something. If there are any events you'd like us to cover, publicise or simply talk about, feel free to comment and let us know.

1 Comments:

  • I HAVE LIVED AWAY FROM THE BAY FOR 15 YEARS, NOT THROUGH CHOICE, BECAUSE OF WORK COMMITMENTS. HOWEVER EVERYTIME I VISIT MY STEP DAD IN PAIGNTON, WHICH ISN'T NEARLY ENOUGH, I ALWAYS FIND I NEVER WANT TO LEAVE. EVEN THOUGH I KNOW THERE ARE NO OPPORTUNITIES TO DO THE WORK I DO IN THE BAY, I SO HATE LEAVING THAT I CRY EVERY TIME. HOW SAD AM I!
    BEST WISHES
    SARAH J

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:36 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home